Monday, March 7, 2011

THE PAPERWORK IS DONE!!!!!

The Happy Pierce Family!
Today was a big day for us.  It was the day of our consulate appointment to turn in all of our paperwork for Molly Kate's visa, and also the day that our group took "THE OATH."  It was an emotional moment for me, because I knew it was the final step we had to finish to be able to bring Molly Kate home with us, although she was officially ours----no giving her back or anyone taking her back---LAST Monday.  I was a little disappointed in the oath we took.  I wanted to raise my hand and promise that I was going to love my daughter with all my heart and soul and try to be the best mother to her that I can possibly be until the day I die.  Instead the oath was simply swearing that everything we had stated in our paperwork was true.  Oh, well.....I made the other promise in my heart, anyway!!!
We sat and waited for our name to be called to turn in the paperwork for the visa.  Usually, this is a long, grueling wait, but today it wasn't bad at all.  There were no problems with our paperwork, we paid the money for the visa, and we were DONE!!!!!!!  THE PAPERWORK IS OVER!!!!!!!!  Tomorrow, Maggie, our guide, will have Molly Kate's visa for her passport, and we will also receive the mysterious "brown envelope" that MUST stay sealed until we go through customs when we land in Atlanta.  As soon as our plane lands in Atlanta, Molly Kate will be a U.S. citizen!!!!
After we left the Consulate's Office, we boarded the bus to come back to the hotel.  Molly Kate HATES riding on the bus, so that meant she had a nice LOUD meltdown.  The minute we stepped off the bus at the hotel, she fell asleep.  We brought her back to the room, and she didn't even wake up as I was undressing her.  I had gotten her up around 5:45 AM, and she was simply exhausted.  After a three hour nap, though, she was ready for the daily shopping!!!!
OKAY----I have to confess.....I have bought 14 pairs of shoes for her in the last two days.  They are just SOOOOO cheap, though.  Where in the United States can you buy CUTE LEATHER baby shoes for $5?  NOWHERE!!!!  I'm just trying to stock up for the next TEN YEARS!!!!  Actually, I just bought her size now, and the next size.  Her feet are TINY, and the shoes look precious on her.  I figure if I don't have anything to go with the shoes I bought, I will just have to BUY something to go with them!!!!
We went to a store today that is my FAVORITE of all.  It is Guangzhou's Charity Store for China's Children.  Many of the products are made at the orphanages, and at the homes for the elderly.  There were SO many nice things.  I found some really special gifts there for Molly Kate, and for family and friends. I bought the CUTEST diaper bag, and I'm thinking I really want to go back and buy the matching baby quilt.  I would like to save it for when Molly Kate has her first child. 
Tonight, we went on a cruise on the Pearl River.  Let me tell you, Guangzhou is beautiful in the daytime, but at night, it is unbelievable!!!!  The cruise was nice.  A buffet meal was included.  All I can say about the meal is that I'm glad the food items weren't labeled because I have a feeling I would die if I knew what some of the things I ate really were.  It wasn't my favorite meal, but the cruise, itself, was worth the sacrifice!!!  After our meal, we went up on the top deck of the boat and sat outside to soak in the view.  I am going to attach some pictures.  One of the most beautiful sights was the Guangzhou Tower.  It is the second tallest building in the world.  The entire tower is covered with lights that change colors.  One minute it is a solid color, then another, and another---and THEN, it is ALL of the colors.  It was very windy and cool tonight, but it was such a peaceful happy time for me to sit there and snuggle Molly Kate, all bundled up in her blanket, while enjoying the view!!!
The Guangzhou Tower
  
The  bridge from the mainland to Shamien Island where we are staying.
 The bus ride back to the hotel was similar to the one back from the Consulate's this morning.  Our girl was NOT a happy camper.  It had been a LONG time since her nap, and she was just ready to get back to the room and strip down to her diaper!!!  I was quite ready for my PJ's, too!!!
Tomorrow morning we are heading to the Pearl Factory (I think Roger is a little stressed about THIS shopping venture!!!!)  Tomorrow afternoon will be the famous red couch pictures for each family and for our girls.  I can't wait for you to see the five pretty little ladies we have been so blessed to be with this week!!!

Pretty in pink!

1 comment:

  1. That girl of yours is CUTE!!! I can't wait to meet her in person. I like your "I'll just buy an outfit to match the shoe's" philosophy..I sort of adhered to that idea myself, he he. The Pearl River cruise was one of our favorite parts of the trip, too. Very relaxing and sooo beautiful with all of the amazingly lit up buildings.

    Gin =)

    ReplyDelete